Who is Addiction Counsellor?
An Addiction counselor helps clients to overcome any drug-related issue. If a client is suffering from any kind of addiction like drugs or alcohol addiction the addiction counselor helps those to return their normal and mental strength. This is the basic work of the addiction counselor.
The main objective of a counselor:
- Assure patients that they are friends to them. They are here to help them with their treatment.
- He has calm and flexible at any moment. Sometimes he has to face some issues at the time of performing. But as an addiction counselor, he needs to tackle those situations in a proper way.
- He has to be a good listener. He has to listen to the patients at the time of the meeting.
- He has to ensure patients that he is here for giving importance to their treatment. The counselor has to emphasize the client’s situation at any cost.
- The counselor has to coordinate with the all kind of department and the professional those are playing an important at the time of treatment. This is essential work that has to be done by the counselor.
- He has to encourage the patient’s party and help them to understand the process of the treatment. Without their help, he cannot get the proper result.
- He needs to support the patients and his or her family unconditionally.
- The counselor has to facilitate the process and the group involved in the process.
- He has to support all kinds of tests of the patients.
- He has to design a treatment plan for the patients.
Work process of the Addiction Counselor:
The counselor’s main objective is to work with patients or clients. He or she needs to meet the clients and talk to him. For the treatment purpose, this is important work. For the treatment process if it is very important to manage all the information of the clients. Without proper information, the counselor cannot give his best. To understand the mental health of the patients he has to understand the mental condition of the patients. Sometimes the patients are reluctant to serve any kind of information or help to the counselor. But the counselor has to manage the situation and connect with the clients to gather information at any cost. He has to be patient and committed to the patient party. In this job commitment is the most important virtue he has to follow. Communication is one of the important parts of the job. A counselor must be communicative with all the factors that will arise in the way of treatment. He has to notice the issue and try to overcome it. Many times he can face an unpleasant situation but he has to handle the situation in well manner and progress into the next step. In this situation, he has to understand the client’s aim and objective. Mostly needs of the clients. Without understanding the proper needs of the clients he cannot work properly. He also develops a customized treatment process for the clients. He has to coup with any situation and has to ready for anything. But remember ultimately it is social work. So, the counselor has to address all the social matter while performing the treatment or therapy.